Farfalle With Brocoli And Cheddar
Courtesy of Stefano Faita
- 1 bag (454 g) of Stefano farfalle
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 625 ml (2½ cups) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 750 ml (3 cups) broccoli florets
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta and broccoli together until pasta is al dente. Before draining, reserve about ½ cup of starchy cooking water.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and whisk. Let the butter and flour mixture cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. Constantly whisking, add the milk, a bit at a time. Add the pinch of nutmeg and whisk until the sauce becomes thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the cheddar cheese, and whisk until melted. Set aside.
- Put the drained pasta back in the pot and add the cheese sauce. Toss to coat. Add the reserved pasta cooking water if needed.