Courtesy of Stefano Faita
- 454 g (1 pack) Stefano fusilli
- 450 g (1lb) ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) taco seasoning
- 180 ml (¾ cup) mild salsa
- 180 ml (¾ cup) mild taco sauce
- 375 ml (1½ cups) mix of cheddar and monterey jack cheeses, shredded (divided)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) green onions, finely sliced
- In a large frying pan, brown the beef, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the onion and the garlic. Stir over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir for another minute.
- Add the mild salsa and taco sauce, cover, and let simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Before draining, reserve about ½ cup of starchy cooking water.
- Add the drained pasta to the frying pan and toss to coat. Add half the cheese and stir until well combined. Add the reserved pasta water if needed.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top with the rest of the cheese and the green onions.